It’s the news all Bruins fans expected but tried to remain optimistic about. Nathan Horton, as announced by General Manager Peter Chiarelli, will miss the 2012 playoffs. The reason is a concussion Horton sustained on January 22, 2012 in a game against the Philadelphia Flyers. He hasn’t played in a game since.
“We felt it wasn’t in long-term interests of [Horton]to have spectre hanging over him of trying to come back for playoffs” said Chiarelli. (Via Joe Haggerty)
Horton as fans know was one of the heroes of the 2011 Stanley Cup run as he was responsible for 3 game winning goals, 2 of which were game 7 winners. Last year in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals against the Vancouver Cannucks, Horton was hit by Aaron Rome and missed the remainder of that series. That hit will forever remain in Bruins fans memories.
This year Horton played in 46 games and registered 17 goals and 15 assists in that time. Hearing that he will not be apart of the playoffs this year is sad but it’s important for Horty to get better. Chiarelli said that he confident that Horton will return to the lineup for the 2012-2013 season which honestly I think is most important. Horton is 26 and still has a long way to go in his NHL career.