Last night Max Sauve was the star of the game, coming back from injury and scoring the game-winning shoot out goal he provided Providence with two points that ties them for third place in the Atlantic Division with the Portland Pirates after their win last night.
The Bruins went into the first period in hopes of carrying momentum over from Friday’s victory, but unfortunately got off to a slow start. It would be Worcester that was able to make things happen as they got on the board a little over half way through the period. The Bruins held a slight advantage in shots through the first twenty minutes with 9 shots to their 7, but were unable to beat Stalock and went into the first intermission 1-0.
To no surprise the goaltending is what made this game so interesting. Both teams provided golden scoring opportunities, but both Alex Stalock and Michael Hutchinson were on the ball doing everything but standing on their heads to keep pucks from going by them. Scoring wouldn’t occur again until the final frame when Jamie Tardif came right out and blew a shot past Stalock 2:20 into the period. Much like Boston, the baby B’s showed up strong in the third period and dominated the ice The Sharks were able to slip another one past Hutchinson around the 13:30 marker, but Bartkowski answered right back at 17:58 to tie the game in the final minutes.
After a scoreless additional five minute overtime period the game was sentenced to a shoot out. Hutchinson and Stalock both stopped all five shooters flawlessly making it look effortless. It would come down to the sixth round when Max Sauve would find a way to slip the puck past Stalock and give the Bruins their second win of the weekend.
Next game is Sunday at 4:05pm at the Dunkin Donuts Arena against the Adirondack Phantoms.
- Goaltending: Michael Hutchinson (2-4-1)- 32 saves out of 34 shots faced, five saves in overtime and all six shooters in the shootout. He has a save percentage of .885 and a 3.02 goals against average. Alex Stalock (8-5-1) -28 saves out of 30 shots faced, two saves in overtime and made 5 out of 6 saves in the shootout.
- Shots on goal: Providence 9-7-12-2-1 (31) Worcester 7-15-7-5-0 (34)
- Power Play Opportunities: Providence 0/4 Worcester 1/6
- Three Stars of the Game:
- Max Sauve– 1SOG-GWG (Providence)
- Alex Stalock– 32/34 saves (Worcester)
- Matt Bartkowski– 1 Goal (Providence)